The new Cisco Carrier Routing System (CRS). Each model uses Cisco IOS XR Software, a unique self-healing, distributed operating system.
* Cisco CRS-3, powered by Cisco QuantumFlow Array - a chipset architecture engineered in multiple dimensions of scale, services, and savings
* Cisco CRS-1, built on the Cisco Silicon Packet Processor (SPP)
The Cisco CRS-3 Multishelf System has 1152 slots and Aggregate Switching Capacity of 322 Tbps (terabits per second)
Business Week coverage
* Cisco CRS routers start at $90,000
* Cisco has invested $1.6 billion in the product line
* The router lets carriers offer Internet speeds of 1 gigabit per second, said Pankaj Patel, a Cisco senior vice president. (about 100 times faster than most home connections today).
* it will allow all the people in China to have a video call simultaneously
* Investors were disappointed by an anticlimatic announcement - “We expected something a little broader, more of an architectural shift, more of an end- to-end change to networks rather than a single product.”
* Global data traffic will probably more than double every year through 2013, fueled largely by video
Link to cisco video no the CRS-3
Netbook Technology News